Thursday, February 23, 2012

Celebration Cake Kits!

Some time around two weeks ago I was away from home, feeling not-so-hot, and couldn't sleep. I had already gone through a whole bunch of topics in my sleeplessness--the next day, food, being away from my man. Eventually (far longer than I would like to admit), I was trying to think of a way to help out other people besides the typical money or time donation. I was struck (like a swift kick to the bum) that there are a lot of families here with young kids who may not otherwise have any treat for special days (birthdays, quincineras, mom's new job, graduation, you name it). I remembered when I was young, and dinner was often rice and beans, but we always had a cake for birthdays. Always. It meant so much to my brother and me. I think that the kits will provide a way to nourish the soul as well as the body (okay, a dose of sugar isn't exactly nourishment!).


What was necessary for a good ol' cake? 1. Cake 2. Frosting 3. Candles  4. A pan to cook the cake in that doesn't need washing!  So after much running around to find the basics, I finally had everything together.  The good Lord was kind enough to provide a special on cake mixes and frostings (Pillsbury happened to be the brand on sale), so all I had to do was buy appropriate tasty pairings of cake and frosting flavors. Seeing the look on the faces of the checkout staff with that many cakes was priceless! I had two options for pans--8" food service pans, or almost 9x13" rectangle chafing dish pans. For future information for me (and anyone who wants to do this for their local food pantry)--go with the rectangle. The mix, frosting, and candles all fit well in it without squishing the pans. Also, make sure to mark on the packages what flavors they are AND when the expiration dates are.

Since I had a little extra time today I got the first batch of 28 done (why 28? 28 is what would fit in the boxes I had). Foil Pan, Cake Mix, Cake Frosting, Candles all wrapped in syran and ready to go.  I am so excited to get these babies out to the Storehouse! Eventually, since I had some financial help from friends, I want to make more kits but for special diets. Being gluten free myself, I am aware that it is difficult to eat gf food while on a budget--I can only imagine how much harder it must be while depending on others for your food supply!

Anyway, without further ado, I bring you: a finished Celebration Cake Kit!

(Caution! Cake flavors may suddenly change from photo to photo!)

These kits may not really be nourishing for the body, but I think it will go a long way for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment